Main Street Historical

Self-Guided Tour

SOUTH to NORTH (1 Mile)


Click the pictures to map the locations.

The Rich History of SALADO dates back between 1827 and 1836 when Empresario Sterling C. Robertson from Nashville, TN was given a land grant from Mexico to settle hundreds of families in Texas. The grant was one hundred miles wide and two hundred miles long. Robertsons' son, Elijah Sterling Robertson learned Spanish and assisted his father in legal matters. Elijah settled in SALADO in 1859 when he donated 10 acres for Salado College grounds and 90 acres to be sold to raise money for the college.

There are 19 buildings in SALADO on The National Register of Historic Buildings.

The banks of Salado Creek have historically been an attractive site for settlement due to gushing limestone springs, abundant fish, flowers, and trees. Native Americans camped along its banks, and Spanish explorers gave it its name. The first Anglo-American settler, Archibald Willingham, built a log cabin in 1851. The College and town of Salado were established along the creek in 1860. At one time, the creek boasted eight mills, making it the county's industrial center.

The Hamblen homestead, built in 1868 by William and Alice Hamblen, stood on the site where the administrative offices of Salado Independent School District and Civic Center now stand. William served as a trustee for Salado College for 20 years. After his death, Alice donated the family homestead, along with 4.6 acres in 1924, for the construction of a new public school. The original home was demolished, and the current red school building was erected in its place. Adjacent to the building lies the Hamblen family cemetery.(RTHL)

In 1919, stockholders of the old college property unanimously voted to donate the grounds and buildings for use by Salado Public Schools. The aging facility served until 1924 when a fire destroyed it. Alice Joy Hamblen, widow of William K. Hamblen, generously donated the old family home, demolished to make way for a new brick facility constructed in 1924. After years as a school, it ceased public school use in 1979 and was restored by the community as Salado's Civic Center, now housing the school district offices. It is located at Main Street and Van Bibber Lane. (SHSL)

The Boles-Aiken Log Cabin, consisting of two rooms, dates back to the 1850s. Discovered within an old home in Salado during demolition in March 1986, it was dismantled and stored for four years until 1990. The Salado Historical Society then reconstructed and restored it to its current condition on the present site.

The cabin, originally constructed by Moses H. Denman in 1867 in Sparta, located 15 miles northwest of Salado, underwent restoration in 1955 in Belton. It was subsequently relocated to Troy before finding its current home in Salado.